Sunday, 4 April 2010

Are you a teacher of the future?

Technology is part of our lives and it is here to stay. Although we may not be "digital natives"(people born in the digital age) we are capable of becoming "techno-savvy", it just takes time and perseverance!

Six weeks ago I didn't know how to set up a blog or a PowerPoint presentation. I was technologically challenged. Now I feel more confident using some of the technological tools that are out there. Here is a list of technological tools that I have recently learnt how to use and that I think are worth passing on to you.

  1. Blogs - They are actually really simple to set up. Go to blogspot.com and follow the instructions. The most difficult thing is that it takes time.
  2. Wordle - This is a great tool to use in the classroom and has so many possibilities. Jamie Keddie has a tutorial on how to use it on his blog (see blogs I read).
  3. Moviemaker - This is a fantastic application from windows that we can use to make mini-movies with our students. There is a great tutorial on Lifefeast.
  4. PowerPoint - I used to think that this was a tool for teachers to use but there are endless possibilities for its use in class.
  5. Jing - to capture anything you see on your computer screen and share it instantly...as an image or short movie. Fantastic programme that has a million uses.
Teaching with technology can be time consuming but it is "FUN" and by learning a little about how to use technology in the classroom we are developing professionally. Are you a teacher of the future?

3 comments:

  1. I must say that although I spend most of the morning on the computer, I actually know very little about technology and I am interested in finding out more about using technology in the classroom. However, we don't have any technical resources at school, just blackboards, cd players and a dvd player which works when it wants to :( I do think that I will be left behind if I don't try to keep up because the future definitely lies in the use of different media and technologies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember having read Jamie's article, but you can have a look at how I've used Wordle in my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle,

    Can you get your boss to get wifi and then take your laptop to class? (if you have a laptop) Homework sounds like a good idea to integrate technology into the classroom.

    ReplyDelete