Tuesday, 20 April 2010

Blogging in ELT

Entering the world of ELT blogging is a bit like being back at university. I feel slightly out of my depth and keep thinking everyone is going to ask me where I did my A-levels and what marks I got. You're not really sure if you should say anything in case someone laughs at you, or thinks you're stupid. You aren't sure if what you have to say is worth saying but you're sure that everyone else can say it better!

My first comment on a post written on someone else's blog was exhausting. I wrote it, read it, re-wrote it and, after a great deal of deliberation clicked on submit only to realise that I had made a typo. I was mortified (for a bit at least), everyone would think I was a moron who only taught kids. My first blog post was a similar trauma. Now I'm more relaxed. I've developed thicker skin in a very short space of time. I make typos I'm careless, sometimes what I say is 'banal' but what the heck.


What do they say "you have to be in it to win it?" If you are thinking about blogging in ELT, give it a whirl at least it gives you something to do when there's nothing good on TV, and who knows it may lead to something more!

7 comments:

  1. Haha, you have no idea how long I take to come up with a post! But, take heart - I've seen embarassing mistakes at some English teachers' blogs...brrrr...makes you shudder...
    Regds...Chiew

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have hit the nail on the head there, Leahn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't someone say that to err is human??? I totally know where you're coming from with the self-doubting side of blogs but these platforms for discussion are great - you know that I'm a little 'geographically challenged' so the internet has really helped me to feel back in touch with other teachers.
    Although I've only got one group of YLs, it's great that you're posting ideas and providing a space for sharing...If I ever work out how to tame this lot, I'll send the magic formula!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chiew, Michelle and Clare
    I have to do some work for a CLIL workshop this afteroon but have an idea brewing for a couple of posts...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep blogging and we'll keep checking in to see what's new. It's all very interesting, thanks for taking the time to put it all together. S

    ReplyDelete
  6. :-) You will make mistakes... lots of them.

    In 6 months time, you'll read through old posts and even find titles that had errors in them and you will cringe and wonder why on earth no one bothered to tell you.

    Whatever!

    It doesn't matter and most people who read your blog and your comments will skip past the not perfect and head for the concepts and ideas... least I really, really, really, really, really, really, hope so.

    Karenne
    p.s. even today, I still write comments and cringe costing me the will of the gods not to write to the blogger in question and beg him to take down what I wrote because I sound dumb)...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Karenne,

    Many thanks for your kind words of wisdom. I really appreciate you dropping by. I have to admit that it was your blog I wrote my first comment on!!!!!
    Thank God you didn't notice my 'banal' comment with spelling mistakes!

    Hope to see you here again.

    ReplyDelete