Tuesday, 29 June 2010

Do you remember your green cross code?



I saw this on the PLN lounge and have been dying to try it so here's my excuse.

In the UK in the 1970s there was a road safety campaign called the green cross code it was used to teach children the basics of crossing a road. The four stages were stop, look, listen and think.

I think that the end of the school year is the perfect time to stop, look, listen and think about the year behind us. The summer holiday gives many teachers a well-earned break from teaching or at least a lighter workload which means that we can stop or slow down.

After stopping or at least slowing down it's time to LOOK back at our teaching year critically to see what we liked and what we didn't like about our year. By doing this we can see how we can improve our teaching practice.

The next step is to listen to ourselves and other voices of fellow teachers, colleagues and our PLNs to see where we can go from here and possibly where we can make changes and improvements along the way.

The final step is to think. Think about what we did last year and what we are going to do in the new school year ahead of us. For me personally reflection has been a great help in my teaching life. I spend my school year rushing around from class to class and never seem to have the time to think about what I'm doing and why but the summer is the perfect time for me to do a bit of thinking and reflecting. If you have the time and the inclination why not try the 'green cross code' of reflection.

What have you learnt this year?

3 comments:

  1. Loads - so much I don't even know where to begin!

    This has been the most fruitful year in my professional life ever. I met tons of wonderful people (including you :) and have a constant feeling of growth.

    Let's hope next year will be even better than this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi LMB,

    Thanks so much fro stopping by. Us newbie bloggers need all the support we can get! I'm new to twitter and blogging as you know but I think it's going to be a real help professionally and I have to say that I'm really enjoying being a member of this ELT community. I'm learning new things about technology and reading lots of intersting stuff.

    Have a lovely summer back in Poland!

    Thanks a lot

    Leahn

    ReplyDelete
  3. The most important thing I've learnt is that my keyboard skills and editing skills are TERRIBLE!

    for and interesting

    L

    ReplyDelete