Sunday, 13 June 2010

Jester- Who am I?

This is a variation of the old party game ‘Who am I?’ It was a 'real favourite' in a lot of EFL classes in the 1990s. I used to play this game with post-it-notes stuck to people’s foreheads which was always good for a laugh!

Now, I use a jester’s hat like you can see in the picture. 

MATERIALS

To play this game you need small picture cards or word cards, a funny hat, and Velcro.

DESCRIPTION


The object if the game is for the child wearing the hat to guess what is attached to the hat.


PROCEDURE

  1. Ask for a volunteer.
  2. Put the hat on them. 
  3. Choose a card and stick it to the Velcro attached to the hat. 
  4. Ask one of the other children to start to describe the place, animal, or person in the picture. 
  5. Children continue the description until the Jester guesses the identity of the place, animal or person that is being described.

POSSIBLE CATEGORIES

• Animals (Young Learners)
• Children in the class (Young Learners)
• Places in a city (older children or teens)
• Famous people (teens)
• Films (teens)
• Countries (older children)

LANGUAGE
• It’s …………..
• It’s got ……………
• It can ……………
• It can’t ………….
• It lives in ……………….
• He’s wearing …………..
• He’s got …………………
• He’s …………………..
• You can see ……….
• There’s a …………….
• There are ……………….
• It’s about ………………….
• It stars ……………………….
• It’s in Europe, Asia, America ...........
• It’s famous for its …….
• The capital is ……….
• The flag is ….

VARIATION

Practice questions instead of descriptions. 

2 comments:

  1. I still use post its! I haven't played it in a while though. The hat looks lovely, I'm sure the kids love it (and the adults too!) but I think some of the cooler teenagers would prefer a rapper's cap or beanie. I usually the famous people version with adults, although the last time I actually played it wasn't in the classroom but with a bunch of friends at a barbacue on a rainy day - this shows how fun it is to play and why students love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle,

    Yes, I imagine the jester hat may not go down well with cool teens. Perhaps post-its are still the way to go with teens!

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete