Friday, 9 July 2010

Multiple Me (s)

I bumped into a colleague yesterday. She asked me how my summer was going and, if I had many classes. She then asked me if I had a lot of kids. I said no. She was a bit surprised. You see, I think I’ve been pigeon-holed as someone who teaches kids. Now, it may be true that the majority of my time is taken up with primary age students, but I also teach secondary school children, adults and my teaching peers. I’m not ‘just’ a teacher of young learners. I have, what I’ve termed ‘multiple me(s)’

Let me try and explain. The ‘me’ that teaches infants, the one that sings and jumps around the class like an elephant, is not the ‘me’ that teaches business English. The ‘me’ that is hip and cool teaching teens, is not the ‘me’ that leads teacher training workshops. My approach changes with the students in front of me.

I sometimes find that I’m displaying multiple mannerisms, attitudes and beliefs in my teaching, TEFL is a roller coaster ride which fortunately finds us teaching all sorts of people and all sorts of English.That’s one of the things that I love about it!

Long live variety, it is as they say The Spice of Life.

2 comments:

  1. I call it the "classroom persona". It's a useful thing to have because it basically means you can be what your students need you to be without feeling that you are straying too far from who you really are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anon,

    Nice name "classroom persona". I like the idea that you don't stray too far from who you really are. Sometimes I feel like I'm acting different roles but you're right there is a 'me' than runs through all my 'me(s)' and I suppose that's true for many teachers.

    Although, I've met and seen teachers who unfortunately seem to have one "classroom persona" and those are the ones that find transitions in ages and types of English taught most difficult.

    Thanks for stopping by

    Leahn

    ReplyDelete